Monday 12 October 2015

Let the PLN-ing begin...! But, "Slowly, slowly, slowly," said the thoughtful sloth.

Creating a Personal Learning Network can be a bit daunting, because every time I make a foray into education forums, blogs, etc, I see so many amazing ideas, so many new and different apps, so many intriguing voices, SO MUCH _______________. I have an ideas file folder in my email with links that I may never get back to to explore them further.

So, I'm thinking the key (for me, and for others?) may be to start small, with a narrower focus. As a kind of portal to possible items of interest, I've made an account with Edutopia and started to explore within it. There may well be better sites, but as a start, it will do; I do appreciate the simple clean layout with Topic, Video, and Conversation menu buttons at the top; the breakdown of grade groups one level in is also useful.


Although the link below, on Edutopia, about augmented reality apps didn't relate directly to me and things I would use...
...it was interesting--but more importantly, it reminded me about last year when some of my staff saw a bit of a novelty augmented reality app in a workshop that really wowed them...I meant to approach them with ideas for using Aurasma this year. 

Anyway, using Edutopia as a start linked me to a curated blog post (a potential PLN connection) which reminded me of a way to connect with colleagues (my main PLN) in my building—and it wasn't overwhelming, which was a great way to get started PLN-ing...

I used Aurasma a few years ago to create a treasure hunt-style interactive experience at the Stō:ló Nation site near my school (as a follow-up field trip after the Gr 4 Longhouse visits). It has since become a standard part of my grade 4 SS unit on First Nations cultures, and a cornerstone in my attempts to stick to Place-Based Education. Aurasma is an app (linked to the online site) that allows you to make a video clip that will be triggered to appear when the iPad camera scans over a chosen trigger object, scene, etc in the real world. I've meant to use it in more ways within the school; now, I've been reminded to do just that.

In terms of creating a PLN, I like being in this LIBE 477 class and being given a mini-PLN--in the Bears group. That narrows my focus to make it manageable; with only four or five people to follow, I can pursue all of their ideas and links more thoroughly; and then choose to venture outside of the group when necessary or when wanting even more variety. And when venturing out, it is definitely best to have a specific search topic in mind and to stick to it...stop clicking on other interesting-sounding things!

Following the same narrow group on Twitter has been a great way to get started as well; I've added a few others to my following list, but not too many. Just dipping my toe in. [During our last strike, I was very active on Twitter, under a now-defunct account, following many people, and interacting a fair bit, but more for educational/political purposes—so, I know it can be very useful and rewarding.]

I saw a retweet in my feed of something that sounded interesting from an educator guru named Catlin Tucker, so I tentatively followed her for now. That led me to this very interesting post:

This tied in nicely with my re-invigorated thoughts about augmented reality apps. I can see using ThingLink as a great alternative to traditional elementary Library research presentations on animals...imagine snapping a photo of the animal, then attaching clickable icons to the image that opened up info on its adaptations such as claws, eyesight, tail, etc...? This video explains the process: How to Thinglink!

The final element of starting to create a PLN that I'd like to discuss is the the idea to "Share everything (or at least something)" that Richardson implores us to do in his eBook, Why School? Sharing and soliciting feedback is naturally a great way to hone your skills...so I'm trying to get on with it. I often share ideas for possible collaboration with my staff in formats like those down below. Now, I'll put a couple of them out there in their rough, unpolished way for fellow classmates reading my blog.

Chris' audio/video clips (3-4 min each; created with Puppet and Screenchomp apps) about using an app for math instruction and teacher/parent connections:

Does anyone have any similar or different tech ways of accomplishing the skills or goals I mentioned in the above clips? I'd love to hear them.

Let the PLNing begin...!





References

Aurasma. https://www.aurasma.com: HP Aurasma, 2011. Web. 11 Oct. 2015.

Carle, Eric. "Slowly, slowly, slowly," Said the Sloth. New York, NY: Philomel Books, 2002. Print.

Hunt, Christopher. (A Message To Teacher Colleagues About Using Screenchomp As A Math Teaching Tool; Created Using Shadow Puppet.). 2015. Web. 12 Oct. 2015.

Hunt, Christopher. (A Screenchomp Video Created As An Example For Teaching Subtraction, A Tool For Students To Demonstrate Mastery, And As A Resource To Send To Parents.). 2015. Web. 12 Oct. 2015.

Jayne, Clare. 'Tech Toys (And Tools) For Learning'. Edutopia 2015. Web. 11 Oct. 2015.

Richardson, Will. Why School? How Education Must Change When Learning And Information Are Everywhere.. 1st ed. TED Conferences, 2012. Web. 10 Sept. 2015.

Screenchomp. http://www.screenchomp.com: TechSmith Labs, 2011. Mobile application.

Shadow Puppet. http://get-puppet.co: Shadow Puppet, 2014. Mobile application.

Thinglink. How To Thinglink!. 2015. Web. 12 Oct. 2015.

Thinglink. 'Thinglink - Make Your Images Interactive'. N.p., 2013. Web. 12 Oct. 2015.

Tucker, Catlin. 'Catlin Tucker On Twitter'. Twitter. N.p., 2015. Web. 11 Oct. 2015.


6 comments:

  1. Excellent first dip in the pool! You've identified a sustainable strategy for building out a solid PLN that will continue to help you and reap benefits long into the future. I agree it is very important to not over-extend yourself, for fear of burnout, but to slowly expand your reach and connections, building in supports and structures to collect and organize your learning as you go. Good images, links and tags for your blog post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Aurasma sounds UNREAL. I will definitely be adding this to the must try list. I completely relate to you having a vault of things you wish to someday try. It seems like in this age of information there are literally endless opportunities to try in our teaching practice. It can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I also like your idea of keeping your twitter education account select for management purposes. Thanks again for sharing SO many great tools, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Bronagh says, thanks for sharing so many tools. I, too, am loving having the Bears as my mini-PLN right now. You definitely seem to have used a ton of tech in your practice thus far. I'm very interested to check out Aurasma!

    One tool that I use to share things with colleagues or parents is Jing. When I'm trying to teach someone how to use a website of some kind, Jing lets me make a video of my screen while I talk about what I'm doing. I make a Jing for every parent to share their child's completed learning plan and it's like a little tour of the Google spreadsheet. Jing is a download on my laptop...I'm not sure about downloading it for iPads though. Have you used it before? Screenchomp looks better for free-writing and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris, for introducing Edutopia and Aurasma. Honestly, I have not heard of any of the two, but for sure will check them out later. I'm also glad that we are in the small group Bears. With this small group of 6 people, I found that I had learned a lot of new ideas from all of you. I cannot imagine if I have to read more blogs in a week than what we have to do now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting to realize that it would be really valuable to do some videos showing what I'm doing on my screen...been meaning to look into it...heard of Screenr (or something) in our course.
    Jing also sounds like just the thing!
    Any chance you've made a Jing before about how to make a Jing, set it up, etc. if not, no worries, I'll go YouTubing one day soon.
    Screenchomp is really just good for actually mimicking a lesson you would teach on a whiteboard (or maybe Smartboard).
    Although I loved Aurasma, I did find it a bit finicky when I set up the project a few years ago...took some patience and practicing...after various updates, though, it should be smoother sailing. I haven't developed a new project with it, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, I like Aurasma a lot! That's super innovative and cool! I'm definitely going to try to work that into this year's teaching for sure! ThingLink sounds super cool too, thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to be checking that out too! You have great ideas Christopher, I love learning from you! And I agree, I like these new mini-PLNs that we are now within our class, it's much more manageable in terms of information absorption and connection :)

    ReplyDelete