Monday 30 January 2017

LIBE467 Reflections on Theme #1, Info Lit and Reference Services

As Theme #1 wraps up, there are some thoughts from the material that still resonate with me. These are the ideas or tenets that I feel are important, thus far in the course, to my practice or evolution as a Teacher-Librarian....

Physical/Text Reference Materials versus Digital Reference Materials?
This seems to be a common thread through the readings and discussions. In this digital age, how many actual hardcopy reference books should we have on our shelves? None at all? One of each? After all our explorations, plus my day-to-day experience in the Library, I tend to go with a stance that I'll continue to replace most physical reference texts with digital sources (assuming that I'll always first evaluate the digital source and choose it if I find it equal or better).

Why? Main reason = cost savings. Especially if the replacements are district database bundle subscriptions not paid directly out of my Library budget. Issues of keeping the resource current are usually solved with digital references because they are regularly updated, without the bother of having to buy a new physical text. Mainly very reliable digital reference materials are even free. Secondary reason = freeing up shelf space! Without multiple outdated reference texts and series, I have more room for other amazing non-fiction that will still support research (and pleasure reading).

I enjoyed reading about all of the considerations that can/should/do go into evaluating resources for inclusion in the Library, whether on real shelves or on virtual "shelves" of the Learning Commons. I do think that the reality is, naturally, that all of the weighing of authority, currency, and so on rarely happens as formally as filling in charts and checklists, but rather happens in the Teacher-Librarian's mind via rapid publication checking, page skimming, and a personal knowledge of the curriculum. However, it is valuable to slow down and think more slowly about our considerations at least once, as we are doing for Assignment #1. It is especially, potentially valuable to have done this as preparation for the event where a book in the Library gets challenged for supposed unsuitability; even if applied retroactively, taking this kind of formal evaluative process and applying it makes the justification clear. When there was a possibility of Richard Dawkins' excellent book, The Magic of Reality, becoming controversial a year or two back in Chilliwack, I read it, put it through the evaluation wringer and was delighted to find that met all criteria and then some. That allowed me to confidently put in on the shelf and promote it for science-minded kids.

Research Models and Info Skills Frameworks
In the section on the research process for students, I was glad to revisit the BCTLA Research Quest and Points of Inquiry models. I've tended to roughly have those in mind when embarking on research, but now am committed to using them more formally. I especially thought it was important to use and promote these locally developed models especially after such a bleak era of T-L cuts; as our recent court win comes into effect, I feel it's a good idea to highlight exemplary work from our field.

Instead of doing more impromptu database and Internet searching skills lessons, I'm trying this year to formalize them. To that end, I quickly created a Google doc that I can regularly add to and update for teaching those skills to students; I was using it the last two weeks. Now, in follow up blocks this week, I'll get to see how effective it was (or wasn't--yikes!). I know, though, that it is a regular part of the research process for students to hit a frustration barrier, so I'll need to re-teach the tips a little, I'm sure. It was a good to see reminders about frustration reflected in some of the research models.

Further goals for the end of this year, and into the coming year, are to formalize a set of research skills lesson, Internetiquette/digital citizen lessons, and Internet safety lessons appropriate to each grade. It's year three in my new Library; that's the time I set for starting these goals. The first two years, I had focussed on rejuvenating the collection, weeding, tons of new orders, connecting with the community, building bridges for team-teaching, and finding ways to support the new curriculum. Of course, all of these are ongoing concerns, but this vital core of Library--the info lit and reference services--needs to come to the forefront now.


8 comments:

  1. A good reflective blog post with a fascinating story of the Richard Dawkins book and the controversy in the Chilliwack district. Also, good discussion and highlighting of the new learning and understanding of the evaluative and research process. Some good links to external examples, resources and connections, more would be better. Finally, a MLA/APA reference list is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Sorry about the flaws. This post was very, very rushed as I was trying to get it online ASAP after accidentally doing and posting Assignment #1 instead of Theme Reflectiion #1.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it. I always find the titles interesting "Digital versus print"- I even use it myself... But I can't help but be reminded of Whole Reading versus Phonics and now we know both are good in combination. I feel like most TL's appreciate the use of both ( such as your written). Even going through wordbook today in more detail with my students, I noticed little things, like addition websites they could visit ect... I agree with you that budget and space are factor in purchasing. I also like these courses, because like you mentioned about the chilliwack case... it gives you a guideline you can go to and make sure a book in question meets the election criteria, leading to more confidence keeping it in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The digital vs print debate is interesting and you have provided some good argument for your position that are worth considering to the book lovers out there! Thanks for including your Google doc for our consideration also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie,
      It's funny, because I favour the digital only in the case of reference materials and certain types of non-fiction that gets dated quickly.
      In all other respects I'm a committed bibliophile who will always trumpet the superiority of actual physical books over technology in just about every situation.
      Love books: the feel, smell, weight, the page-flip, the illustrations, the lack of screen glare and tech buzz, the construction of the bindings, and so on...
      But, for expensive reference material for the Library...digital encyclopedias, etc over print; the sheer volume of reliable EBSCO articles versus 50 magazine subscriptions...these cost savers win out. :(

      Delete
    2. If you see something that could be added/changed about the Google doc, send me a message. Anything you do/use would be helpful.

      Delete
  4. Christopher,

    So great to hear your thinking of goals in terms of timelines. Sounds like we both have similar plans in mind for our libraries. I am a year behind you in my new library (two years now) and I find that this is the year of crazy amounts of weeding and making physical changes in order for students to be able to find books more efficiently. I am attempting the long road of genrefication but realize it's going to take me a while to get there. I have also been working with teachers to establish relationships and things are going better this year.

    I am so thankful also for the digital resources that Surrey has been providing, as it is difficult to keep up within the budgets we are given. This year, they have streamlined what they are offering which is a good thing, as we were overwhelmed with resources initially and I don't feel the whole program was well rolled out in the beginning.

    I agree with you about the importance in formalizing research skill lessons for our students. I have also been more focused on that this year. I would really be interested to see what you have come up with on your google doc.

    In response to your question about a broken link in my first reflection, it appears to be doesn't it? When I look at it on an iPad the video is not there but when I am on my Mac it is??? Could you try having a look again from a desk top and let me know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carly,
      So funny how we all go through the same journey, perhaps just putting priorities in slightly different order.

      If you want to see my fledgling google doc on info search skills, there was a link in the blog post. Title: Database and Internet Baasic Search Tips. It's clickable. I hope to build something more dynamic at some point.

      I'll check your link on my laptop...

      Delete