Saturday 21 November 2015

Format Considerations for the Final Vision Project

WHAT FORMAT?
Now that I've considered the scope of, and the rationale for, my final vision project on Place-Based Education (that incorporates art and design, field trips, and tech tools), it is time to think about the format I will use to present that project.

My favourite tech device is my school iPad because of its compact, lightweight portability. I do nearly all of my work on this device, and it is my major teaching tool in the Library, so I will definitely be creating my final project on it. Also, I use the iPads with many different classes for many projects at school, so the more I play around with it the better I am able to use it with students.

I have some favorite apps that I like to use personally for my own work, and for projects with students. Those apps are Shadow Puppet, PicCollage, Book Creator (iBooks), and HaikuDeck.

As I recently realized/discovered, making an iBook is not such a good idea because it is not properly shareable for non-Apple devices. On the other hand, Puppet, PicCollage, and HaikuDeck are all very easily shared because they are web-based, so you can copy a link to the project and share it so that anyone with Internet access can see it.

MY PLATFORM:
I will be using HaikuDeck for my project. However, I will be sure to include examples of those other within my project, so that others can see their possibilities for use in Place-Based Education lessons and units. 

I'll try to show PBE samples/ideas for various elementary grades and subjects. 

HaikuDeck is a good app because it allows for creating a bit of an interactive feel, because you can create a dynamic slideshow with links out of the deck to other apps with more audio and video elements.

Haiku deck also has built-in sidebars to it slides which are great, unobtrusive spot to include References citations/links as you go, rather than placing them all at the end—or more conspicuously on top of your main slide.

CHALLENGES:
One challenge will be keeping the presentation short enough to keep people's interest, while being long enough to make the points well. 
Another challenge will be making sure the technology cooperates and creates live links, which will require quite a bit of double-checking. 
The presentation will need to include a variety of visual, audio, and video stimuli (not like this blog post or my last one). 
Another challenge will be including some sort of examples of Place-Based lessons that I have not yet done with a class, but have plans to do soon (nature art in situ with grade fives in a December field trip). 
If I want to use any student work samples, I'll need to seek both student and parent permission to include those samples; informing them that the project could potentially have a wide internet audience may be a deterrent. 
One particularly tricky challenge will lie in trying to include an example of how the Aurasma app works in the project I designed at the Stó:lö Nation site...

The nature of the final vision project I have in my head will need a sort of storyboard layout so that I can see where and how the various pieces fit together. 

Once I complete that, I'll be ready to go...



...several hours later...I think I've got things roughly mapped out...








1 comment:

  1. Excellent considerations and discussions of your potential challenges. I think becoming aware of best strategies for sharing across many different platforms shows some fantastic wisdom of ensuring your format does not limit your message. Great pre-planning, anticipating and over-ensuring your message is engaging and accessible. Overall, a great final planning step for your final vision and the end is getting ever closer!

    ReplyDelete