Sunday 8 November 2015

Up PeriSCOPE!

Scanning the Possibilities for a Final Vision (21st Century Learning) Project.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Module #10 begins...now is the time to consider the Scope for my final project for the LIBE 477 course...was going to intro the ideas by talking about submarine trolling through topics, blah, narrowing the focus through the persiscope, blah, launching torpedos, blah—but, I'm really not a big fan of educational journey metaphors, so I'll just jump right in after letting these pictures stand in for a fleshed out theme:
 1  2
3


3 Creative Commons licensed images courtesy of  1) Tim Moreillon, 2) Marion Doss, and 3) Naval Surface Warriors


In choosing a final vision project, I decided to focus on an exploration of Place-Based Education. The place being British Columbia in the most general sense, and specifically Chilliwack, where I live, and even more specifically on the community of Sardis, where I teach at Sardis Elementary School. 

In most cases, I'll be focusing on Social Studies curriculum. I'll need to seek staff input on how to make other subjects include lessons on the Chilliwack/Sardis area.

In creating Place-Based Education lessons, I want to always be sure to add in these three key components:


A)  Art and design lessonsB)  Field trips out into nature, or to local community resourcesC)  Technology tools for researching, recording, and presenting        learning


The art and design component will include things like guided drawing, painting, drama, photography, page layout discussions, digital collaging, and so on. For field trips, we will ideally choose walking distance destinations (Sardis Park, Stó:lō Nation site) in order to cut down on bussing costs and environmental impact; for trips a little farther out, the goal should be to combine two or three locations into one all-day excursion (Rotary Vedder River Trail, Blue Heron Reserve, Cheam Wetlands). Before, during, and after the field trips, art should be created as a part of the learning process. The technology tools our students could use for learning and presenting include iPads and laptops to access internet research (plus text resources), and various apps such as HaikuDeck, Puppet, Piccollage, iBooks, ThingLink, etc.

                       


Things to consider as I move ahead...

Most of my personal teaching and ideas around Place-Based Education are specifically fitting in with the Social Studies curricula for various grades: I should eventually add Science, Math, etc; also look at integration of several subjects within one project.

Build on place-based successes already in my teaching repertoire, learn from and team up with other colleagues already doing PBE (purposefully, or not), and connect with and team up with anyone else interested on staff.

This final project should probably be presented as an iBook or HaikuDeck that links out to examples of Puppets, PicCollages, and ThingLinks showing the use of art/design lessons for place-based units in various subjects. Thus, my presentation becomes a showcase of the types of tools and ideas I'm advocating.

The final project almagamation will need to include references to materials I discovered throughout this course on the topics mentioned throughout this post.

Another think to think about is who I will present this vision for 21st Century learning to (beyond classmates) and how and when I'll do that. As part of my PLN online, with staff, with T-Ls...?


The circular and interconnected thinking process...
Now, in phase three of the course, I'm returning to the roots of my main interests explored at length in phase one of the course....
As usual, I like the big-picture approach, so I had a hard time separating out the different elements of Modules 10, 11, and 12 as I looked ahead--so, I planned them in tandem on paper...a bit of a linear mindmap (I always still rough my ideas out on paper in word doodles no matter how much I incorporate tech tools into my life). This is what it looks like:









2 comments:

  1. This is some excellent "thinking out loud" about your final vision. You've got a great idea for your place based education unit. Also, some great ideas on activities, technology and summarizing the learning and experiences. One thing to consider is the final step, sharing this out. Perhaps linking and posting your final presentation as a 'mini-unit' on your blog with everything another educator might need to replicate this unit in their school and their community. Something to consider. Good brainstorming, thinking and compiling your ideas so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your place-based education vision project and I love even more that you're going back to your love to Social studies. Making sure to integrate art, technology, and field trips is very cool, I'd like to see what you do end up with in the end. I'm already downloading these apps right now for my own exploration :) Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete